The Department offers a 8-semester B.Tech. undergraduate programme in Automobile Engineering for those who have passed the Plus Two examinations and appeared for TNPCEE (Tamilnadu Professional Course Entrance Examinations). The total intake is 45 per year. It is a Credit-Based Curriculum with a proper blend of laboratory classes. Each theory subject carries 3 or 4 Credits , Practical Subjects in addition to Basic Engineering, Basic Sciences and Management Subjects.


Students are admitted to ME postgraduate programme in Automobile Engineering with a valid GATE score and based on their ranks. A few students are admitted under Non-GATE category also, based on their ranks in the Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test (TANCET) conducted by Anna University. The intake is about 25 students. The first year PG programme emphasises on Advanced Theory and Design aspects. The second year is devoted to Project work (Phase-I and Phase-II) and approximately 75 % of the students take live industrial problems and work in the industry concerned to complete the project. This offers an oppurtunity for the University-Industry interaction.The rest 25% of the students carry out the project in the Department, which is mostly a research-oriented project guided by our staff members.

Students are required to take the following core subjects:

1. Automotive Petrol and Diesel Engines

2. Automotive Chassis

3. Automotive Transmission

4. Vehicle Body Engineering

5. Vehicle Dynamics

6. Automotive Pollution and its Control

7. Automotive electrical and electronic systems

8. Computer Aided vehicle Design

Students have to carry out a major project in the final semester to complete the course, in addition to doing a design project.

Students are required to take the following core subjects:

1. Applied Mathematics

2. Automotive Engine Theory and Design

3. Automotive Chassis

4. Automotive Transmission

5. Vehicle Dynamics

6. Production of Automobiles

7. Computer-Aided vehicle Design


The Department is considering the possibilities of starting new programmes in the areas of

1. Transportation Engineering, including Rail Transport and Military vehicles

2. Marine Engine Technology

3. Automotive Electronics and Computerization of Vehicles

Title Degree Specialization Semester
UG B.E. (Full Time) Auto 8
B.Tech. (Part Time) Auto ---
PG M.E. (Full Time) --- ---
M.E. (Part Time) --- ---